Viking 130 shutdown by shutting off fuel pumps?

I know the normal shutdown involves shutting off power to the ECU by shutting off both batteries and the alternator. But I also read that if the fuel pumps are shut off that the engine will also stop. I haven’t seen any warnings about only shutting off the fuel pumps so I thought I’d ask if there were any reason to not use that method to normally shut down the engine? I don’t know if maybe that would cause any cavitation or other potential issues with the high-pressure fuel pump? Just thinking that shutting the fuel pumps off might be more akin to something like pulling the mixture to lean-cutoff or maybe have a benefit like de-pressurizing the fuel lines at shutdown. 

You need to be a member of Viking Aircraft Engine Forum to add comments!

Join Viking Aircraft Engine Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another benefit of this approach might be that the master switch can remain on while shutting down, leaving the lights or other ancillary devices on as desired. Also, with the fuel system emptied then maybe there's less danger of inadvertent ignition if the prop is rotated by hand while a battery switch is left on.
    • Starving the GDI mechanical pump for fuel is not good and can make a restart harder

Shut down the engine by cutting power to it.
    • Well, this wouldn't be starving the "light" pressure pump, it would be starving the high-pressure pump; I think that's what you meant? But I understand - your stance is to shut down the engine by cutting power. On the depressurization of the low-pressure lines (from the pumps to the engine) - I swore I saw a video of your header tank install which shows a line from the manifold back to the header tank to do just what I was asking about - depressurizing that lines after shutdown - but I just can't find that video again. Do you have a description of how to set that up? Or am I remembering wrong?
  • I just saw Jan's response to the "A Neeewwb Question": "The issue in regards to shutting down the engine with the “high” pressure fuel pumps is that you would starve the “higher” pressure mechanical pump and empty the fuel rail of pressure, making it harder to re-start."
    Makes sense, but how much harder? A couple extra seconds of cranking or is it significantly worse? Would there be any concern of testing this approach? Would someone be willing to test that out and report the results? My engine is not running yet (hopefully within the next couple of weeks).
    • Hi Phil, on my 130 engine (during testing of the ECU's ability to recover from low fuel pressure), I remember it taking a full 60+seconds for the engine to finally splutter and stop after switching off the low pressure pumps in the Header Tank - so not a good way to cut the engine. Re-start involved more cranking before it fired into life again.

The particular ECU (latest software) test, was to see (and you had to be quick switching the pumps back on again) if the engine recovered and continued running (just) as it started spluttering/being starved of fuel. [correct me if I am wrong, Jan]
    • Thanks John. Always good to hear real-life results and experiences. Do you have the bleed-back line from the check valve manifold to the header tank to relieve pressure in the lines after shutdown?
    • Yes, I have the bleed-off line from the check valve going back into the Large Header Tank on my project. Mandatory I think.

Agreed, electrically killing the engine in flight (for whatever emergency reason) causes EFIS, radio and flaps to go out(my project), before you at least switch one battery back on. This is in my checklists. I’ll start a new thread (here) and post these. Maybe of interest to others.
  • Phil, shutdown of ECU, as my ECU white conductor was labeled "battery power always on" and the white red conductor was labeled " switched ECU power" I wired as noted. The wiring diagram dated 12/12/2018 shows these conductors (W & R/W) wired to the positive bus hard.
    I would like to ask Viking if shutdown is okay by turning off the (R/W switched ECU power), and leaving the contactors and alternator on.
    • All ECU’ should be wired According to the wire diagram. The two ECU wires go to the same spot.
This reply was deleted.

Activity

Bruce Flatt, Warren Longden and Gene Odosij joined Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Nov 9
Glenn Davis posted a photo
Nov 1
Glenn Davis updated their profile photo
Oct 18
Dick gossen left a comment on Recent Activity - Add Comments, Videos and Pictures Below
"Hi all, Anyone interested in a Sensenich 2-blade prop for the Viking 110? I've got one and a 13" spinner to go with it.
Dick Gossen
gossend@gmail.com"
Oct 17
Glenn Davis posted a photo
Oct 16
bob noffs posted a discussion
hi all, is the proper fuel for the 110 still min. 90 octane. no ethanol preferable but ok. last choice is avgas 100 low lead. thanks, bob noffs
Oct 11
Travis Christensen is now a member of Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Oct 9
bob noffs replied to bob noffs's discussion pitch for propeller
"thanks norm, i will probably start with 18."
Oct 9
Norm Neuls replied to bob noffs's discussion pitch for propeller
"Bob, on my CH-750 I have it set at 19 degrees which gives me about 5200 on takeoff and climb. I previously had it at 18 and as I recall it was around 5400."
Oct 8
Glenn Davis updated their profile photo
Oct 7
hi all, i have the 110 in an rv-12. can anyone recommend  an initial pitch setting for the whirlwind 3 blade 70'' prop?thanks, bob noffs
Oct 1
Dick gossen posted a photo
The Viking 110 in my RV-12 "Tweety Bird". Put 400 hours on her in two years! Long cross-country trips greater than 1000 miles (each) totaled 14000 miles!. Sweet!
Sep 30
  • Dick gossen By the way, that cowling is for sale: $200. You can have the spinner and backplate to match - I have both a two-blade and three-blade version: $50 each. and you can have my Sensenich two-blade carbon prop for $500! 408 499 8587
    Oct 28
Viking Aircraft Engines replied to bob noffs's discussion viking 110 muffler
"M18x1.5 -Alissa"
Sep 29
hi all, can anyone tell me the thread type and size of the bung in the side of the muffler. i think it was meant for an o2 sensor? thanks bob noffs
Sep 29
Larry Zepp left a comment on Recent Activity - Add Comments, Videos and Pictures Below
"Blast cooled housing for Dual Earth-X batteries on the engine side of the firewall."
Sep 28
Larry Zepp left a comment on Recent Activity - Add Comments, Videos and Pictures Below
"Installation of the dual check valves and Viking 110 fuel pressure regulator on the Zenith Zodiac 650B firewall - Before installation of fuel injection hose and fire sleeve.
 "
Sep 28
More…