Altitude Compensation - Fuel Mixture

I'm new to this forum and new to Viking Engines. I'm early in my research.

My question is: Does a Viking 130 engine reduce the fuel rate automatically through the ECU as altitude increases - to lean out the mixture?

If so, is there an altitude limit - where no further leaning is conducted?

Thanks to all,

Bill

You need to be a member of Viking Aircraft Engine Forum to add comments!

Join Viking Aircraft Engine Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, it does that and there is no altitude limit for this
    • Thanks! I have another newbie question. Since the Viking engine is built to automotive tolerances regarding piston to cylinder clearance - is preheating required in cold weather?
    • Only if you would like to do so. The engine will start and warm up on its own.
  • Thanks. How about the Turbo 195 - does it lean with altitude like the 130?

Bill
    • The modern engines do not care what altitude they are at. The engines do not “know” what altitude they are at. They do not need this information.

The engine “Know” what the temperature and manifold pressure is. From this, the correct amount of fuel can be calculated.

So, yes, any temperature/ any altitude
This reply was deleted.

Activity

John Nealon left a comment on Recent Activity - Add Comments, Videos and Pictures Below
"Too bad about the forum going away. Not everyone uses Facebook."
Jun 5
Viking Aircraft Engines left a comment on Recent Activity - Add Comments, Videos and Pictures Below
"Good day, moving forward this forum is very underutilzed as the majority of questions are all answered MUCH better through our social media platforms, and quickly - we have started a group for Viking owners, I encourage you to join, even for the…"
Jun 2
Alan Peltier is now a member of Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
May 22
Arnie Minear is now a member of Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Apr 26
walt tachiki posted a photo
Apr 7
Steve Berkel and Tim Donham joined Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Apr 1
Donald L Schwanke and Garry Hawkins joined Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Mar 23
Joe Kanuck is now a member of Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Feb 22
Don Freimark PP 650hrs current in a c172-based in Milwaukee,wisc, Stewart Staudinger and Laurence Jones joined Viking Aircraft Engine Forum
Feb 1
Viking Aircraft Engines replied to William Batten's discussion Altitude Compensation - Fuel Mixture
"The modern engines do not care what altitude they are at. The engines do not “know” what altitude they are at. They do not need this information.

The engine “Know” what the temperature and manifold pressure is. From this, the correct amount of…"
Jan 23
William Batten replied to William Batten's discussion Altitude Compensation - Fuel Mixture
"Thanks. How about the Turbo 195 - does it lean with altitude like the 130?

Bill"
Jan 23
Viking Aircraft Engines replied to William Batten's discussion Altitude Compensation - Fuel Mixture
"Only if you would like to do so. The engine will start and warm up on its own."
Jan 23
William Batten replied to William Batten's discussion Altitude Compensation - Fuel Mixture
"Thanks! I have another newbie question. Since the Viking engine is built to automotive tolerances regarding piston to cylinder clearance - is preheating required in cold weather?"
Jan 23
Jose P M Almeida replied to bob noffs's discussion fuel for 110
"Hi Bob. Yes you are right. The manual says maximum of 15% but all auto gas here in Brazil has 25% or 27% ethanol. Since I am monitoring closely and I had no issues with 90 hours of flight and it is a very clean fuel, the only concern would be the…"
Jan 7
bob noffs replied to bob noffs's discussion fuel for 110
"thanks jose. isn't 25% a little high for this engine?"
Jan 7
Jose P M Almeida replied to bob noffs's discussion fuel for 110
"Hi Bob. My 110 engine has 90hs. I use auto gasoline here in Brazil with 25% ethanol. It has 95 octane. I used 100 LL only once just to test. Saw no noticable difference."
Jan 6
More…